Sunday, February 1, 2009

M is for Man, Music, Mozart

Great Memories from 1990

Just read Jonathan Bellman's blog: dial M for Musicology. The three M's bring back great memories of Louis Andriessen, the fabulous Dutch composer, who i worked with closely over the years.

My first day as manager of Orkest de Volharding (recently departed because of subsidy cuts in Netherlands). Must have been around September 1990. Meeting with two women from BBC at Louis Andriessen house. Impressive plans for the coming Mozart year: 6 half hour films with theme: Not Mozart. Andriessen accepted the commission only if Peter Greenaway would be movie director. A dream team for me as a baby manager.


The beginning of a long term collaboration between these stunning artists with mutual opera's ROSA and WRITING TO VERMEER.

I'll never forget this project. Visiting Andriessen's studio, him playing exerpts. Talking and discussing the project. The rehearsals, the recording of the sound track, the filming, the premiere. All great because.... for me Andriessen wrote his best work ever. And the Volharding (11 winds, bass and piano) at their best with Astrid Seriese singing. Fantastic rhythmic drive, daring but accessible harmonies, horny singing by Astrid Series, brutal playing by De Volharding...

The piece was the centre piece in my Volharding years. They all wanted this piece on their Festival programs and we played all over Europe.

On my final day at De Volharding when I left ensemble life for my first orchestral job, we recorded the piece for nonesuch. Wonderful memories.

I have to clear the rights for MonteVerdi in some way, thousands and thousands could enjoy.

Have a look at enclosed youtube finding: a first impression. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment